Carole and I are both back from our travels and this week she has prompted me to consider...
Ten things I miss about home when I'm away
1. The cat. She always plays up her minders if we're both away - when Mr Z and I were in Italy, she refused to come into the house from Wednesday onwards and Jo had to feed her al fresco. The tortoise ran away last year on Jo's watch she blames herself (I don't know why: that tortoise was Houdini incarnate) so she was a bit nervous. But Mitten did not run away. She waited until we got home and then yowled at us for the best part of an hour, in between hoovering up three packets of food. Little minx.
2. Mr Z. You'll have noticed I don't often take him away with me (at his request, it must be said). I missed him a lot while we were apart this year. Luckily everywhere had wifi. Even the taxis.
3. My home that is almost always the right temperature. It's always cool downstairs in the heat.
4. Being able to sleep with the window open, without any noise or worrying about the air conditioning.
5. Reliable wifi. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I'm almost always using free wifi when I'm away; but I am so used to Googling any little fact I can't instantly remember that it becomes irritating when I can't do this.
6. My routine, and the friends that fit into it. I miss seeing my friends for sushi, going to knitting group, catching up over coffee...
7. Having a wide variety of clothes to choose from. I try to pack light these days but then I end up terribly bored with all my clothes at the end of the fortnight.
8. Bacon and avocado sandwiches on those nice giraffe batons from Sainers. Nobody makes them like I do at home.
9. The tap. Weird, I know, but I never manage to drink enough when I'm on holiday, for some reason. When I can't just drink straight from the tap, it gets even worse. I think I was semi-dehydrated for my entire time in Vietnam.
10. The outdoor rocking chair I bought last year. I like to sit in it when I get home from somewhere feeling all hot and bothered, because it's in the shade from midday onwards.
Fun topic this week!
Also, this is my 1000th post on this iteration of this blog. Hurrah! In October it will be my 18th anniversary. Who knew I had so much to say?
Oh yes, just everyone who knows me, you're right.