Saturday 22 December 2018

Pot-painting update

I managed to pick up the fruits of my labours at the Humanities Christmas night out before we broke up this week. I was pleased to see that the little red dish hadn't stuck to the bottom of the kiln, as I had feared, though the robin looked even more amateurish after firing and it was clear where I had washed away the blobs of glaze that had gone in the wrong place, so it looks permanently stained. Not great, but will do fine for putting dips and sauces into because you won't be able to see it.

I think I'd like to go back and do a few more of the red starry one, though. It came out so nicely. 

The vase did not come out as expected but it's not as bad as I'd feared. The colours blended much better than I'd thought they would, but the yellow was not thick enough to compete with such a dark background in a meaningful way. You can just about make out the big moon on the picture above, and some of the flicking I did has worked out OK, but the big swirl got a bit lost. 

What I do like, though, is the nice combination of blues (of course) and the way there is a lighter line along what is essentially the skyline, presumably caused by me not painting the glaze as thickly there. I think it's worked out quite well.

I foresee another visit in my future.  

No comments: